Saturday, January 7, 2017

How to Easily Teach Your Toddler Daily Topics

Daily Repetition in a Fun Way!

As a parent we are so busy taking care of our children and every day responsibilities that it's hard to keep up with the little things you could be teaching your toddler daily. Until I started Mother Goose Time I never considered teaching my (now 3 year old) toddler what day of the week it was, much less the month. Thanks to Mother Goose Time we now have a daily schedule where I can take an opportunity to teach Bella (naturally) about these daily topics.

Here are some topics we learn about at the beginning of the day:

1) Day of the Week

2) Date Today

3) Month We are In

4) The Weather Outside
 
(Each day we also re-learn about our Monthly Shape, Letter and Number)

While this seems like a simple concept, it can be hard to keep a child interested in learning this DAILY. That's why I love the way Mother Goose Time is set up to be engaging and fun. First, we have a display board! Everything besides the board came in the Welcome Kit that you receive for FREE with your first box! I take out the Display Board when we are about to start school. Bella now recognizes what will happen once I grab the board and looks forward to school time.

 
Monthly you "start over" and introduce the new month. This week we started January. On your board you have space for your Month Name, Calendar, Letters of the Month, Daily Topic Photo, Shape Clouds, Numbered Fish and Weather Icons. I use this putty to hang most items that we change frequently, or these self-adhesive Velcro dots for heavier items that we will use all year. While some items come in your Welcome Kit, each month you receive new letters, shapes and numbers so your child does not get overwhelmed with learning too much new information at a time.

 
The Calendar comes with numbered dates that feature characters that go with that month's theme. This month's theme is Baby Animals. The days easily pop out and are great for the child to remove themselves. I have Bella remove the day and will explain "Today is Friday, January 6th". Then she uses a glue stick and glues the date on the calendar herself.



This helps her motor skills and coordination along with number recognition!




Next we grab her Weather Icons which include a Sun, Cloud, Wind, Snow and Rain. I laminated them and placed self adhesive Velcro on the back and on the board so we can easily hang them daily. We then go outside and discuss what the weather is like. We will talk about the clouds and what we see. She also predicts things like "I think it might rain later".





I use a sheet protector to store my extra calendar days and weather icons and hang it on the back of my board with the self-adhesive Velcro.
 



This is our board on a typical day with all of our daily items attached! When we are done with school I fold it up and slide it behind my bookshelf. It's a very convenient tool and super easy to set up and update. It's the perfect start to school time and Bella knows once the board comes out that school is going to begin and we get to glue and go outside to see the weather! She really enjoys the process and consistency of doing it daily. She now knows her days of the week and we are working on the pattern of which days come after today.

This portion of the Mother Goose Time program is really great and has been able to teach Bella many things I struggled with teaching on my own. I definitely recommend trying a month for yourself. The best part is, there is no commitment! If you're like me you will fall in love with this program (which you won't mind since it's so affordable)! Check out how affordable it is here!

Bella Gluing on the Date

This Month's Adorable Calendar Dates



 
After months of being a paying customer, I received this month's box for free in return for my honest feedback!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment